Snowstorm in April
Welcome to northern Utah. The place where weather messes with your mind, and plans.
Just wanted to record a quick story of my near-death. Not really.
So, it's April, right? It barely snows all winter long, the ski resorts are struggling, but come April and sure enough - here comes the snow. It's like t-shirt weather and ice. I got off work around 4 45 am, it's dark outside and the snow storm hasn't really let up, but the conditions were visible.....enough. It's only about a 20 minute drive home on the freeway, but about an hour drive through the valley, so, freeway it is.
Well, the on-ramp isn't normally a busy one, plus it's so early in the morning that no other cars or snow plows had been through. This work truck gets in front of me and is going seriously 20. So, the smarts in me decide to go around him on a curve. Most of the on-ramp is in fact, a curve, and the beginning was completely clear because the snow had melted; on that part. So, one second I am accelerating and the next second I am going: "crap - that isn't plowed and is covered with a snow blanket", except I didn't say "crap"... (insert a horrified look of realization).... it was too late.
He keeps going and I almost hit the wall to my left, then - so brilliantly, out of habit - slam on my breaks, which you don't do in snow - but, when you slide for the first time, you just instinctively push the breaks, I don't know. I missed the wall and spun in a 180 towards the right wall, and my car miraculously stopped dead in its tracks. Must be some good tires! So now, I am horizontal, across the on-ramp and there are cars behind me. Laughing, I am sure. They saw me in time, so they stopped, and because my car was already facing sort of backwards, I spun it around again and off on the freeway I went.
Like holy crap, that was scary!!!!! I immediately began saying my thanks in prayer and called Tony to tell him what happened in the middle of the morning. I was like, "I almost died! Come get me!". So, I took another exit home because the exit closer to our house is also very curvy and I knew no one had plowed, so being all turned around, I went in the opposite direction through the valley and only realized 20 minutes later, when the south started getting bigger. I'm like: "I don't live that way!" So, eventually, I made it home and it hasn't snowed since.
Tony just laughed at me. What a good husband.
Just wanted to record a quick story of my near-death. Not really.
So, it's April, right? It barely snows all winter long, the ski resorts are struggling, but come April and sure enough - here comes the snow. It's like t-shirt weather and ice. I got off work around 4 45 am, it's dark outside and the snow storm hasn't really let up, but the conditions were visible.....enough. It's only about a 20 minute drive home on the freeway, but about an hour drive through the valley, so, freeway it is.
Well, the on-ramp isn't normally a busy one, plus it's so early in the morning that no other cars or snow plows had been through. This work truck gets in front of me and is going seriously 20. So, the smarts in me decide to go around him on a curve. Most of the on-ramp is in fact, a curve, and the beginning was completely clear because the snow had melted; on that part. So, one second I am accelerating and the next second I am going: "crap - that isn't plowed and is covered with a snow blanket", except I didn't say "crap"... (insert a horrified look of realization).... it was too late.
He keeps going and I almost hit the wall to my left, then - so brilliantly, out of habit - slam on my breaks, which you don't do in snow - but, when you slide for the first time, you just instinctively push the breaks, I don't know. I missed the wall and spun in a 180 towards the right wall, and my car miraculously stopped dead in its tracks. Must be some good tires! So now, I am horizontal, across the on-ramp and there are cars behind me. Laughing, I am sure. They saw me in time, so they stopped, and because my car was already facing sort of backwards, I spun it around again and off on the freeway I went.
Like holy crap, that was scary!!!!! I immediately began saying my thanks in prayer and called Tony to tell him what happened in the middle of the morning. I was like, "I almost died! Come get me!". So, I took another exit home because the exit closer to our house is also very curvy and I knew no one had plowed, so being all turned around, I went in the opposite direction through the valley and only realized 20 minutes later, when the south started getting bigger. I'm like: "I don't live that way!" So, eventually, I made it home and it hasn't snowed since.
Tony just laughed at me. What a good husband.