ketch-up {from september to october 2015}
Here are all the happenings from Sept-Oct; for my family, friends and those curious ones out there.
Let's see.
Kohen and Soccer.
Kohen finished up his first season of soccer. He claims it'll be his last. We shall see. He wasn't that into the game, but looked cute running after the ball, in rare moments. Tony was the back up coach, and I sat on the sidelines, admiring his gluteus minimus, medius and maximus, oh and watched Kohen play, of course.....yeah
Reese in Swim.
Reesy has been in swimming lessons since August and he loves, loves, loves it. He has breezed through 2 levels and is unto the 3rd. He can now, float on his back (yeah, it's not super pro)! He has advanced into the deep pool - oooooh! He performs very well for his teacher and has been so brave in the water.
Date night!
We are so lucky and thankful to have excellent babysitters, AKA grandma and aunts, so that Tony and I can sneak a few dates into our schedule. This time we hoteled (is that a word? no? agh.) and dined on Peruvian cuisine, at a SLC restaurant called Del Mar al Lago. IT WAS DELICIOUS! We loved the decor and the atmosphere as well, you got to try it! While there are more seafood options on the menu, there are excellent choices for rice, chicken, beef and noodles. My favorite was their cilantro based dip that had just the right amount of spice for me, zing zing! Also, fried bananas are excellent. However, I proclaim myself as the worst food critic ever, because I like everything....but, go there anyway, it was fun and yummy!
Kohen in school.
I do believe in one of my last posts, I mentioned that Kohen had been struggling behaviorally at school. Mostly, just getting frustrated when things aren't perfect, throwing fits and being "bored". I am happy to report, that is slowly improving. He has been noticing his own frustration and is able to stop himself and change his attitude - I think that's a good thing, he is self-redirecting.
At the end of his first quarter, he brought home a lovely report card with all A+, except for citizenship - ba ha ha ha ha ha We laughed really hard. It's not that he is a "problem student" or anything like that - he just takes his mistakes to heart, but otherwise he is really sweet to his teacher and has made a few friends who seem to be a little like himself - funny how that works.
He is doing 1st grade math and 2nd grade reading group (but reading at 3rd grade level). Consequently, because he is in higher groups than other students, he brings home more homework. And by "more homework", I mean - he is 1 of 2 students in his K class to even HAVE math homework, along with reading and cursive practice. I personally think it sucks, not gonna get on the soap box here, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Just think this, higher ability should not equal MORE papers, but rather more challenging concepts taught at school - wouldn't that be a perfect world?
I wanted to show off some of his work, because we are really proud of him! He is doing excellent in math, his cursive is improving greatly and he is a total history/geography buff. We learn all kinds of facts on our drive home from school. He has Aced his Native American and Christopher Columbus tests...... and his teacher secretly adores him because let's face it - he's always been a charmer.
Aww. Sometimes your busy mommy heart melts, isn't that the cutest?
Conference BBQ.
Our awesome uncle Timmy hosted a fantastic BBQ, complete with smoked meat and excellent choice of salads. We spent time with our long-lost sister and bro-in law (just kidding, but really, it's been too long) and their girls. Our boys had a BLAST with them, getting all dirty in the backyard, while the adults enjoyed a session of the LDS General Conference and some root-beer floats.
Sushi Monster.
So there is a little restaurant up in these woods with that name, so I am now calling Reese my sushi monster. I am so excited to have a sushi buddy in the family. Besides the fact that I am outnumbered by testosterone, the other two won't touch sushi, so I got one on my side when it comes to culinary choices.
We wish for a fish.
Little boy was overly excited to catch some fish in the mountains, also the "forest" - according to him. Isn't he adorbs? I guess no princess tea parties for me......
I am glad that he is able to make memories with his grandparents, though.
We wish for a second fish?
If you are unfamiliar with the SLC area, but are a fisherMAN or woman looking for a scenic fishing experience, head on over through the Big Cottonwood Canyon, up to Brighton ski resort. At the top, you will find a loop in the road, excellent cabins (which were so fun for a reunion, we need to go again!) and stunning Silver Lake. Be prepared for the cooler evening temperatures, which we clearly were not, hence no fish.....we were too cold to stay long! You might spot a moose, yay. Or, you can just always feed the ducks your left over dinner, which is what we did, mostly.
October Aqua-nuts.
So the story goes, I owed Kohen a trip to the aquarium. The Loveland Living Planet Aquarium in Draper, UT - that is. The boys LOVE it and it's definitely worth a visit for those who haven't been, or even if you have been. With our membership, we've already been so many times this year (ah, who's counting) that we've gotten our money's worth for sure. They have new movies every few weeks, and adorable baby penguins, which I can't now distinguish next to the adult ones....Anyway, I personally, am bored of it, but the boys love it. Right now, it's decorated for Halloween so it's super spooky fun!
The boys walking on the suspended rope bridge - try if you dare!
And, who doesn't love a shark friend to take home?
And of course we did another fun thing, back in September, with my sissy and friends. It was so fun that I decided to dedicate one entire post just to it. So, come on back. Also, will be posting about our Fall/Halloween activities after that.
Oh, did I mention that we found a house? I mean to live in, and stuff (yay)! Just waiting to close....... not spilling details till then.
Let's see.
Kohen and Soccer.
Kohen finished up his first season of soccer. He claims it'll be his last. We shall see. He wasn't that into the game, but looked cute running after the ball, in rare moments. Tony was the back up coach, and I sat on the sidelines, admiring his gluteus minimus, medius and maximus, oh and watched Kohen play, of course.....yeah
Reese in Swim.
Reesy has been in swimming lessons since August and he loves, loves, loves it. He has breezed through 2 levels and is unto the 3rd. He can now, float on his back (yeah, it's not super pro)! He has advanced into the deep pool - oooooh! He performs very well for his teacher and has been so brave in the water.
Date night!
We are so lucky and thankful to have excellent babysitters, AKA grandma and aunts, so that Tony and I can sneak a few dates into our schedule. This time we hoteled (is that a word? no? agh.) and dined on Peruvian cuisine, at a SLC restaurant called Del Mar al Lago. IT WAS DELICIOUS! We loved the decor and the atmosphere as well, you got to try it! While there are more seafood options on the menu, there are excellent choices for rice, chicken, beef and noodles. My favorite was their cilantro based dip that had just the right amount of spice for me, zing zing! Also, fried bananas are excellent. However, I proclaim myself as the worst food critic ever, because I like everything....but, go there anyway, it was fun and yummy!
Kohen in school.
I do believe in one of my last posts, I mentioned that Kohen had been struggling behaviorally at school. Mostly, just getting frustrated when things aren't perfect, throwing fits and being "bored". I am happy to report, that is slowly improving. He has been noticing his own frustration and is able to stop himself and change his attitude - I think that's a good thing, he is self-redirecting.
At the end of his first quarter, he brought home a lovely report card with all A+, except for citizenship - ba ha ha ha ha ha We laughed really hard. It's not that he is a "problem student" or anything like that - he just takes his mistakes to heart, but otherwise he is really sweet to his teacher and has made a few friends who seem to be a little like himself - funny how that works.
He is doing 1st grade math and 2nd grade reading group (but reading at 3rd grade level). Consequently, because he is in higher groups than other students, he brings home more homework. And by "more homework", I mean - he is 1 of 2 students in his K class to even HAVE math homework, along with reading and cursive practice. I personally think it sucks, not gonna get on the soap box here, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Just think this, higher ability should not equal MORE papers, but rather more challenging concepts taught at school - wouldn't that be a perfect world?
I wanted to show off some of his work, because we are really proud of him! He is doing excellent in math, his cursive is improving greatly and he is a total history/geography buff. We learn all kinds of facts on our drive home from school. He has Aced his Native American and Christopher Columbus tests...... and his teacher secretly adores him because let's face it - he's always been a charmer.
Aww. Sometimes your busy mommy heart melts, isn't that the cutest?
Conference BBQ.
Our awesome uncle Timmy hosted a fantastic BBQ, complete with smoked meat and excellent choice of salads. We spent time with our long-lost sister and bro-in law (just kidding, but really, it's been too long) and their girls. Our boys had a BLAST with them, getting all dirty in the backyard, while the adults enjoyed a session of the LDS General Conference and some root-beer floats.
Sushi Monster.
So there is a little restaurant up in these woods with that name, so I am now calling Reese my sushi monster. I am so excited to have a sushi buddy in the family. Besides the fact that I am outnumbered by testosterone, the other two won't touch sushi, so I got one on my side when it comes to culinary choices.
We wish for a fish.
Little boy was overly excited to catch some fish in the mountains, also the "forest" - according to him. Isn't he adorbs? I guess no princess tea parties for me......
I am glad that he is able to make memories with his grandparents, though.
We wish for a second fish?
If you are unfamiliar with the SLC area, but are a fisherMAN or woman looking for a scenic fishing experience, head on over through the Big Cottonwood Canyon, up to Brighton ski resort. At the top, you will find a loop in the road, excellent cabins (which were so fun for a reunion, we need to go again!) and stunning Silver Lake. Be prepared for the cooler evening temperatures, which we clearly were not, hence no fish.....we were too cold to stay long! You might spot a moose, yay. Or, you can just always feed the ducks your left over dinner, which is what we did, mostly.
October Aqua-nuts.
So the story goes, I owed Kohen a trip to the aquarium. The Loveland Living Planet Aquarium in Draper, UT - that is. The boys LOVE it and it's definitely worth a visit for those who haven't been, or even if you have been. With our membership, we've already been so many times this year (ah, who's counting) that we've gotten our money's worth for sure. They have new movies every few weeks, and adorable baby penguins, which I can't now distinguish next to the adult ones....Anyway, I personally, am bored of it, but the boys love it. Right now, it's decorated for Halloween so it's super spooky fun!
The boys walking on the suspended rope bridge - try if you dare!
And, who doesn't love a shark friend to take home?
And of course we did another fun thing, back in September, with my sissy and friends. It was so fun that I decided to dedicate one entire post just to it. So, come on back. Also, will be posting about our Fall/Halloween activities after that.
Oh, did I mention that we found a house? I mean to live in, and stuff (yay)! Just waiting to close....... not spilling details till then.
































