My little happy things from this week (SF)

This last weekend I traveled to one of my favorite cities, San Francisco. Here, I am referring to my love for architecture, the sound of the ocean, the lush streets and hills, the colorful imagery everywhere you look, the food and the hospitality, and the fact that I can still feel absolutely safe walking around in the gorgeous 70 degree weather, even come dark.

Because I had a whole day to spend absolutely alone, along the beautiful Fisherman's Wharf, I had a lot of time to reflect, to slow down and most of all, just to enjoy things moment by moment. It was the best time, ever! I literally, did whatever I wanted, within reason, of course. I had no schedule, no one else s feelings or opinions to consider, no thinking of what to say next and no distractions from connecting with nature.

I wouldn't think about picking up singleness as a lifestyle, but once in a while, it's seriously the best thing for a soul. Especially one that connects with nature; and where else to find an abundance of terrains and alternating volumes than in San Fransisco?



As I exited the local transportation system, I began my long walk up to Pier 39. As I walked along, I walked at the pace that was comfortable for me. I watched people, people-watching me. It was kind of fun. I looked to my left and saw beautiful tall buildings, and apartments, surrounded by the luscious landscape of the hills. I looked to my right and there was the blue water. I spent a particularly long time, looking at an enormous cruise ship, embarked at the port. Millions of little thoughts of vacations and awe, and wonder ran through my head. I admired the size of the ship, compared to the ones I've been on, and this one looked much more magnificent. I thought about all those people who got off to experience San Fransisco and what they must have thought about the city. Then, I wished I was them. Not in a negative, jealous way, but rather a wave of inspiration came over me, that there is not reason that can't be me. I can and will, make applicable life choices to be able to cruise the world in just as giant of a ship. I guess the giant ship helped me feel anticipation of the great things to come.

As I continued on, I popped my headphones in, just one. With the open ear, I could still hear the sounds of the city, the seagulls and the number of homeless women and gentlemen, some arguing with each other, others, simply chatting away, some blaming the world for their problems. I saw one man throw a large stack of newspapers into the wind. The newspapers scattered all over Embarcadero and were shuffled between everyone's tires and car windows. He just thought nothing of it, and I understand why. He isn't in a position to care about such things, but I thought it was kind of remarkable and daring, I guess.

Once I reached Pier 39, I gladly chose a sushi restaurant for lunch. I've been there once before, but only for pick up, so this time was it. I arrived alone and gave the hostess a little "I'm a loser, all alone, table for 1, please" mumble, but later, realized that it's a thing to eat alone, and a cool thing at that. It was the lack of conversation that made me enjoy my food. I don't remember the last time, I had that much time or sensation in a restaurant. I ordered whatever I wanted, mostly because it was just me and I didn't feel any usual pressure to compromise on an appetizer (dear, husband).

While enjoying my spring rolls, and a giant roll of sushi I just ordered, I used the restaurant's electrical outlet as a personal charging device. I thought, how different is the world we live in? We are so technologically advanced. More amazingly, that there are charging stations at almost every corner, and yet, here I was, unplugging from social media and texts, by apparently, charging my phone. It was just for picture-taking, I swear. This also, allowed me to recognize that we can choose to get away from the technology, as much as we choose to use it, and see the beautiful world through our own eyes. So, I left the phone on the floor and ate my lunch without it.

Then, yet another beautiful thing happened. I was, of course, seated by one of the many large windows of the second floor restaurant, so I already had an amazing view of Alcatraz, the many boats going by, and the people down below. At first, I just enjoyed the view. I mean, seriously, enjoyed the view. It's not often that I get to just sit somewhere, and just look out. Then, I turned my gaze down and caught a young man proposing to his girlfriend, right on the edge of the pier, back-dropped by small islands and the water. He didn't do anything cheesy or overly romantic, by my taste. They were both simply dressed in jeans, t shirts and sweaters, he just knelt down and asked.

I could see, her breath was taken away, she wasn't expecting it to be like this, or there, or then. Her tears and excitement made me not only think back on my own engagement, but forced me to remember the fact that there are still millions and millions of beautiful things happening in this world, everyday. Watching her was like watching a baby giggle from a distance, she was so happy and that was the only thing that mattered in the world, right then. She jumped up and down, hugged her mother and sister, and kept admiring her new ring. I don't think it was a large diamond, but it glistened in the sun quite well. I couldn't help, but to feel optimistic, free, and happy, right along with them.

Next on my list, was a walk just around the corner to observe the sea lions, living on the pier. They are quite the attraction, one can hardly find a spot to stand. I squeezed in-between some people who didn't know each other, and pretty soon, half an hour had passed, as I stood there with the ocean to my right, and a stunning back drop of the city to my left, listening, watching and laughing at them. If you've ever seen a colony of sea lions behave, you know how captivating they are. What a simple joy.

Among the many treats to choose from, I settled on a large ice cream cone, just because I could. It's part of the fun of walking around the wharf. I'd decided on watching the small, outdoor magic show to see what it was all about. Few more people gathered on the outside benches, with two elderly gentlemen seated right in front of me. The show started, and with the help of volunteers from the audience, the magician made everyone laugh and smile. The two elderly gentlemen were a hoot, though. They reminded me of something from a movie, or the good 'ole days, where one just enjoyed simple things in life, like outdoor magic shows. They were just all in!

After walking up the wharf and stopping to shop, I'd decided on some seafood. I didn't have time for a fancy restaurant, but I didn't want to pass up the chance on some crab meat and shrimp. So, I ordered a small cocktail from the street vendors. It wasn't an award winning dish, by any means, but it's not something you can easily order where I live, so it tickled my fancy, I suppose. Next time, I'd probably go with the never disappointing fish and chips, or maybe clam chowder. Nevertheless, it was fresh from the ocean, or at least fresh (er) due to my location on the map. I find something so enticing about eating seafood right from the boats. It's because in a way, the ocean doesn't have leaps and bounds, or maybe because I find pleasure in eating authentic foods in the places I travel, I guess ocean caught seafood is pretty true to its origins.

I just realized that most of this post is about food. Oh, well, I have a condition................

I strolled back the way I came and sat on a bench, waterfront, to finish my seafood. I noticed the loud arguing of two homeless people, who were sleeping on nearby benches, then I noticed some more arguing and yelling to my right. I turned my head to look, to notice a homeless gentleman in a wheelchair, being berated by a passer-by because his way of collecting money was kind of genius, considering the political climate of our country. Now, I don't agree with his thoughts, but I found the idea to be genius. He had a small table in front of him, with a glass jar. The large jar had a wooden stick in the middle, with a 5x7 picture of Donald Trump taped to the top, and a sign that read "F*ck Trump". I laughed so hard, not because I think he's wrong, or it's that I don't agree with him, but because this man used people's political displeasure to his advantage. He was the only homeless man I saw that day, with probably more than a $100.00 in that jar! I thought he was simply genius!

After some more time in the sun, and at the shops, I wanted some small dinner. Oh, food, again. I'd purchased a cord dog and was making my way back towards the water, to eat it in peace, with the sound of the ocean and wind in my face. Little did I know, I was about to be robbed. Yes, robbed, by a seagull. I have fed them before, at different locations, mostly just for my own amusement, but they've always kept their distance. I had no idea they could be such bandits, or that they liked corn dogs. Apparently, they do. I'd rounded a corner, took my first bite and excitedly proceeded to a place to sit. I was holding the corn dog with my right hand and chewing the first bite, when out of nowhere, I felt a light scratch on the back of my head and then "whoosh!", and just like that, it was gone, my dinner, my precious corn dog, ripped out of my hand, stick and all!

Well, it made some people laugh hysterically, and me, as well. What can you do?

In conclusion to my wonderful time on the wharf, I had to now stroll back to public transit. I had one last chance for a while, to take in the sites, and the sounds of the water hitting the piers. I simply had a splendid time, and I am glad to start truly enjoying the places I visit, slowly, on my own terms, with or without anybody, depending on the circumstances of my trip.



Since returning from San Fran and being inspired by the things I found beautiful, I wanted to recognize the fun and positive things happening this week. First, our oldest turned 7, and boy, he is such a good kid. He has grown in maturity, and more mischievous, as well. Couple of the things he got for his birthday were a metal finder, and a book called "Show me the Money, for kids". Since our son is so intrigued by finding things, and more so money and cool rocks, we thought this was perfect. The metal detector is really an amazing way for all of us to spend time as a family, or just for his father and him, out in nature, being excited by the possibility of what they might have found. As for the book, there is something so inspiring about teaching your child not only the rules and the value of money, but also how and where to invest it. It's fulfilling to see a 7 year old start to understand how money works, and to start him, however small, on his own way to financial freedom. It wouldn't hurt to also find some money with that metal detector.

In the way of other good news, I am officially employed by my children's school, and because both of them will be going full time come next fall, I am very excited for the new and much needed schedule change. For starters, no more working nights, and that's official! Secondly, I am excited to make new friends, and to interact with new people. I am oh, so excited to see sunlight again and to drive on plowed roads in the winter! Ok, maybe not the snowy roads, as much as the sunlight!

We have a busy summer ahead, mostly with work, but we are grateful because it's getting us closer to some more of our financial goals. We are thankful for the extra hours and new opportunities. As we speak now, my husband is meeting with administration to see about advancing his career goals. No promises on what we'll do, but one thing I know, is that I welcome positive changes into my life, I need them. I don't like to do one thing for long, or stay in a routine year after year, I always want something better, a richer life, if you will.



Before I go, if you are still reading all this way down, I wanted to share a few audio books I've been listening to on repeat for the last couple of months. I find, having positive messages gives me the creative ideas that I can apply in my life to change whatever I may be feeling unhappy about. Sometimes, I am drained of creativity and feel stuck, then works like this really help me to think my way out of situations I don't want to be in, because it's all about how you think! I hope you will all enjoy these too, and unfortunately, I cannot file share, or I would. 



Well, now that I am full of optimism, it's time to go make dinner. Hmm, something healthy this way comes........