we live with smarty-pants; and other life changes
First, I want to brag about our kids, because.....THEY ARE JUST AWESOME!
We just had their PTC's at school and I am so happy and proud of them! They are both doing very well and I could not be happier with their school. Plus, their photos are adorbs.
Reese - 1st Grade!
Reese is such a happy-go-lucky kid, his teacher thinks he's adorable, but how could you not? She said he's amazing in class, has lots of enthusiasm, follows directions really well and has lots of friends! I was surprised to find that he moved up so much in his DIBELS (reading assessment) score since kindergarten; he went from 14 wpm, to 57 at the beginning of this year. That is pretty good, considering, we've been very busy this summer and haven't devoted as much time to teaching him how to read as we probably should have, so the credit should mostly go to his teachers from kindergarten. With the goal being 69 wpm at the end of 1st grade, I think Reese will be well above 90 wpm. Tony and I both, love listening to him reading books all on his own - it's so impressive to see him reading almost fluently like older brother.
Kohen can't wait for Reese to go to spelling group - once he passes out of double dose reading (reading group twice a day), and we are hoping to accomplish that goal with Reese by the end of this year! We are thankful that the school has the ability to cater to each student's needs.
Kohen - 3rd Grade!
Kohen's brain is soooooooo busy, all the time! He is a little genius with big emotions that he is learning to handle. Nonetheless, can we all just ooh and ahh at his smarts? His reading and math are both impressive. Soon, he will be working on reducing fractions math facts, and currently, he is working on multiplying and dividing fractions in his math group. His DIBELS score is outta here as well! Kohen works hard in school, but he makes it look easy. Remember how he won last year's spelling bee? We are hoping to take home a win again this year. His favorite subject is science - he comes back so excited after science, and has all kinds of things to add to discussions during class!
Both of our kids' teachers are so dedicated and know exactly how to work with them. Our admin is amazing as well and I am thankful that Kohen was placed with a great teacher, someone who knew him since kindergarten and has seen him grow up in various classes. I never realized that she'd been with him all along the way, and is now his homeroom teacher. I really felt her love and dedication to Kohen, as we know, emotionally he isn't the easiest child - but he has grown up so much since kindergarten. No more throwing chairs......hahahaha and his melt downs have denifitely been less frequent. I am also thankful for his math teacher who is so patient when Kohen gets off track.
These are the standardized tests from last year and comparisons to the national averages.
Reese's, who was in kindergarten last year, and Kohen's, who was in 2nd grade last year. I can't believe Kohen's grade equivalents.............. we should just send him off to college right now. bahahaha
I am excited to see how far they will go at the end of this school year!
I know there are lots of "levels" and "numbers" that may not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but we know that working hard in school at a young age is developing habits needed for the real world. I learned something cool from our school director in the beginning of the year. I learned that people who have mastered one subject or another, are ones who are able to recall facts from that field, so we will keep pushing our boys to learn and memorize as much information as they can! I am excited to see their brain capacity expand, and so jealous that they get this great advantage that Tony and I didn't necessarily have as kids.
I also wanted to post Reese's soccer pics, because our house isn't all about work.... Reese did so good this soccer season and both boys are excited to play indoor soccer this winter.
In other news.......
In other news, I acquired a new autoimmune disease. Since I already had Type 1, I've now got Rheumatoid Arthritis added to my collection, and hopefully - that will be it. I just turned 30, and holy hell - body's falling apart!
I am very thankful it isn't something worse, and I have all of Tony's support when it comes to doing anything I need, or want to do. He definitely encourages me to be positive, to be out and about, to exercise and helps me do things that are sometimes painful. He knows a bit about all kinds of medical issues since he works at the hospital with neuro patients and sees all kinds of issues. He definitely makes life easier by getting the kids ready before 7am every morning and feeding us when I don't feel like cooking Friday nights. haha
I have immense confidence that I'll be just fine and who knows, maybe in a few years there will be some greater medicines.
I haven't seen the rheumatologist yet, that's coming up, so I will prob have more info in a bit, so far, the blood work is pretty clear, though....haha
The kids and I just had our fall break, so here are some pictures of us having fun.
Tony has been super busy working full time, and doing homework for his online classes. We're hoping for him to finish next year and then look into some administrative positions down the road, at the hospital or places around the SL valley. Even though we are both busy with work, school, kids and putting our new house together, we are thankful for friends and family who make time to hang out with us, we are so blessed! Tony and I are looking forward to winter break, when we will be celebrating our 10th anniversary and our upcoming trip to the Caribbean.
We just had their PTC's at school and I am so happy and proud of them! They are both doing very well and I could not be happier with their school. Plus, their photos are adorbs.
Reese - 1st Grade!
Reese is such a happy-go-lucky kid, his teacher thinks he's adorable, but how could you not? She said he's amazing in class, has lots of enthusiasm, follows directions really well and has lots of friends! I was surprised to find that he moved up so much in his DIBELS (reading assessment) score since kindergarten; he went from 14 wpm, to 57 at the beginning of this year. That is pretty good, considering, we've been very busy this summer and haven't devoted as much time to teaching him how to read as we probably should have, so the credit should mostly go to his teachers from kindergarten. With the goal being 69 wpm at the end of 1st grade, I think Reese will be well above 90 wpm. Tony and I both, love listening to him reading books all on his own - it's so impressive to see him reading almost fluently like older brother.
Kohen can't wait for Reese to go to spelling group - once he passes out of double dose reading (reading group twice a day), and we are hoping to accomplish that goal with Reese by the end of this year! We are thankful that the school has the ability to cater to each student's needs.
Kohen - 3rd Grade!
Kohen's brain is soooooooo busy, all the time! He is a little genius with big emotions that he is learning to handle. Nonetheless, can we all just ooh and ahh at his smarts? His reading and math are both impressive. Soon, he will be working on reducing fractions math facts, and currently, he is working on multiplying and dividing fractions in his math group. His DIBELS score is outta here as well! Kohen works hard in school, but he makes it look easy. Remember how he won last year's spelling bee? We are hoping to take home a win again this year. His favorite subject is science - he comes back so excited after science, and has all kinds of things to add to discussions during class!
Both of our kids' teachers are so dedicated and know exactly how to work with them. Our admin is amazing as well and I am thankful that Kohen was placed with a great teacher, someone who knew him since kindergarten and has seen him grow up in various classes. I never realized that she'd been with him all along the way, and is now his homeroom teacher. I really felt her love and dedication to Kohen, as we know, emotionally he isn't the easiest child - but he has grown up so much since kindergarten. No more throwing chairs......hahahaha and his melt downs have denifitely been less frequent. I am also thankful for his math teacher who is so patient when Kohen gets off track.
These are the standardized tests from last year and comparisons to the national averages.
Reese's, who was in kindergarten last year, and Kohen's, who was in 2nd grade last year. I can't believe Kohen's grade equivalents.............. we should just send him off to college right now. bahahaha
I am excited to see how far they will go at the end of this school year!
I know there are lots of "levels" and "numbers" that may not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but we know that working hard in school at a young age is developing habits needed for the real world. I learned something cool from our school director in the beginning of the year. I learned that people who have mastered one subject or another, are ones who are able to recall facts from that field, so we will keep pushing our boys to learn and memorize as much information as they can! I am excited to see their brain capacity expand, and so jealous that they get this great advantage that Tony and I didn't necessarily have as kids.
I also wanted to post Reese's soccer pics, because our house isn't all about work.... Reese did so good this soccer season and both boys are excited to play indoor soccer this winter.
In other news.......
In other news, I acquired a new autoimmune disease. Since I already had Type 1, I've now got Rheumatoid Arthritis added to my collection, and hopefully - that will be it. I just turned 30, and holy hell - body's falling apart!
I am very thankful it isn't something worse, and I have all of Tony's support when it comes to doing anything I need, or want to do. He definitely encourages me to be positive, to be out and about, to exercise and helps me do things that are sometimes painful. He knows a bit about all kinds of medical issues since he works at the hospital with neuro patients and sees all kinds of issues. He definitely makes life easier by getting the kids ready before 7am every morning and feeding us when I don't feel like cooking Friday nights. haha
I have immense confidence that I'll be just fine and who knows, maybe in a few years there will be some greater medicines.
I haven't seen the rheumatologist yet, that's coming up, so I will prob have more info in a bit, so far, the blood work is pretty clear, though....haha
The kids and I just had our fall break, so here are some pictures of us having fun.
Tony has been super busy working full time, and doing homework for his online classes. We're hoping for him to finish next year and then look into some administrative positions down the road, at the hospital or places around the SL valley. Even though we are both busy with work, school, kids and putting our new house together, we are thankful for friends and family who make time to hang out with us, we are so blessed! Tony and I are looking forward to winter break, when we will be celebrating our 10th anniversary and our upcoming trip to the Caribbean.

















