Grand Staircase Escalante, Spring Break 2021

Southeastern Utah and a bit of Arizona had us mesmerized by their scenic beauty this spring break. We stayed in a little town called Fredonia, AZ in a small, but perfect RV park complete with extra showers and laundry facilities. We rented an RV for a couple days, and spent another couple nights at a hotel in Beaver, UT since it was right on our way down and then back up. 

The fresh air and the temperature was just perfect and it was great to see people's faces since Arizona and Utah have both lifted their mask orders! 


 


The Nautilus 

This one is more of a short walk, we made it longer by climbing over the rock plateau. The nautilus itself is a cool, spiral shaped rock with a roof overhead. We had a fun time making the quick climb to see all sides of it.

















Toadstools - Hoodoos

Right around the turn, just off highway 89 is another quick hike to see these magnificent creations. 








Lower Hackberry Canyon Trail

This one is a bit of a dusty drive, but with 4WD and some good music, we made it in about 30 minutes. Although Paria river was almost all dried up and never got more than ankle deep, we made sure the beast had fun and got plenty hydration. The warm water and the soft river bottom felt great on our feet. 












Catstair Canyon/Stacked Cars

Quick walk to the left and you are there. So fun for the kids, and the views are fantastic to the right as well. How do I know? Because we walked the wrong way for about 20 minutes.....but, no matter in this beautiful nature. 













 Glen Canyon Dam 








The Hanging Garden

This short hike in Page, Arizona was a bit toasty, but nonetheless beautiful. At first, we almost missed the hanging garden itself and thought it had dried up. Another couple pointed us a few feet further up. It truly was hidden. 










Big John's Texas BBQ, Page, AZ

Because smoked pull off the bone ribs are a must after a couple hot hikes! This place does 'em to perfection and the staff were sweet to Satan Rivers, who even got a bone "to go". 




Horseshoe Bend Overlook 

This walk was a bit crowded and $10.00 at that. Haha, it's fine, the horseshoe bend was stunning, just be aware, your National Parks Pass does not work here. 








 Lake Powell/Wahweap Swimming Spot/Glen Canyon National Recreational Area

Thankfully, this one took my National Parks Pass, so we used it twice on this trip, yay! This was the boys' and mine first trip to Lake Powell, and all we did was swim due to other plans. Tony's fam used to rent houseboats in the summers, but we were a solo fam this time. The boys said the water was cold, but apparently not cold enough to stay out of. 

The lake has receded a lot, so we did about a 3/4 mile trek with our chairs and umbrella, for those looking to just swim off the beach. 











On our last day we drove our way up to the northern side of Grand Staircase. 


Upper Calf Creek Falls 

Have I mentioned somewhere that I am NOT a hiker? I am pretty sure that I misread someone's blog and thought the trail was "easy", or "flat" or both......nope. It was pretty much like doing the stair climber for 24 hours straight, add some hot sun and no breakfast.....also, partially, because I thought it was a quick hike.....nope, no, it wasn't. 

But, I will say some good things about it - this one is a true Utah beauty that ends in the most rewarding way, especially, if you have wanted to swim in a cool waterfall pool at the end of a hot hike. This trailhead is tricky to find, but, having been once, I am happy that this trail is one less traveled by, although we did see a few families. We were lucky enough to enjoy the waterfall and the pool all to ourselves for about half an hour. While we did not swim because the water was still freezing and we didn't bring a change of clothes, we had an amazing time - once we got there, that is. 

Don't worry, the way down was the easy part. The way back was a bitch. Straight up hill, through rocks and more rocks, some sand and more rocks. The final climb is one of those things where you realize you might be just a tad overweight.....oh wait, that was the whole way...... and your legs turn into jello. Yep, fun. 

Ok, I am kidding - it feels less horrible now that I am writing about it. Almost anyone else would probably call this "moderate" and totally love it! It was really gorgeous, though.







 Almost there.....



Waterfall is just around the corner, you might miss it..... 










Lunch at Georgie's Mexican Cafe, Escalante, UT

I say this about almost all places I eat, but this one, really, really, really is THE best Mexican food we have ever had. Everything had a unique flavor, just spicy enough, super fresh, the chips and guac just melted in your mouth and the lavender lemonade was killer. I got the smothered burrito. I would seriously drive back there, just for this special spot! 





Bryce Canyon National Park

To end our fun spring break, we drove through Bryce Canyon National Park. We came at a perfect -est time ever! The snow had melted early this year, so the entire park was open, the shuttle was running, but it wasn't overcrowded, yet. Just enough people to make it fun and of course, sunny weather, just for me. 















 

 S   P   I   N   G                         B   R   E   A   K                 F   U   N!                   2  0  2  1